What is Ulcerative Colitis?
Ulcerative colitis is an inflammatory bowel condition that causes irritation in the large intestine, mostly in the last part of the large intestine or colon, and rectum. This chronic condition is aggravated by stress and can cause severe symptoms such as pain, diarrhea and bleeding.
Ulcerative Colitis Symptoms
Ulcerative colitis symptoms can vary between individuals. The most common symptoms are diarrhea and abdominal pain and bloating. The following is a list of symptoms associated with UC.
• Pain in the abdomen and cramping
• Blood in the stools
• Bloating and gas
• Inability to absorb and digest nutrients from food
• Weight loss
• Painful and inflamed joints
• Skin rashes
Ulcerative Colitis Treatments
Thankfully we can treat Ulcerative colitis with much success naturally. The following is a list of natural treatments for UC.
1. Omega 3 fatty acids – high quality fish oil supplements are natural anti-inflammatories and help decrease inflammation in the digestive tract and rest of the body. The oils also act as natural lubricants for the stool, thereby minimizing irritation along the colon walls. To learn more about the best fish oil supplement, click here.
2. Probiotics- individuals with UC have been found to be deficient in probiotics, or friendly flora. High potency probiotics like VitaTree Probiotics are necessary to re-colonize the small and large intestine in individuals with UC. For more info on the benefits of probiotics click here.
3. Diet- People with UC or other inflammatory bowel conditions need to alter their diets to minimize the culprits that cause inflammation. I recommend minimizing red meats, alcohol, refined carbohydrates and dairy products. Coffee can also be too harsh for chronic and acute inflammatory bowel diseases and should be avoided.
4. Stress reduction- I’ve not yet met a person with UC who didn’t have serious stress issues and an imbalanced approach to relieving stress and anxiety. I find these individuals “swallow” their emotions and have difficulty speaking up for themselves. Stress reduction is essential as well as learning techniques to express themselves appropriately. Natural stress formulas are available. Supplements for people with UC should always be whole food supplements, as conventional synthetic vitamins and minerals can be very harsh on the digestive tract. For more info on whole food supplements for stress and sleep, click here.
5. Marshmallow tea – this can be purchased at the health food store and drink 1 cup, three times a day, on an empty stomach.
What is Ulcerative Colitis?
Varicose veins affect women much more frequently than men and can be a very ugly and painful condition. Besides surgery and injections, conventional medicine does not have much to offer the treatment of varicose veins. Thankfully, naturopathic medicine offers many alternative treatments for the prevention and treatment of this condition.
What causes varicose veins?
Being overweight, hormonal changes and insufficient circulation due to lack of exercise can all be causative factors in the development of varicose veins.
Natural Treatments for Varicose Veins
1.Flavonoids from fruits and vegetables are helpful at decreasing the incidence of varicose veins. Dark pigmented fruits are high in flavonoids. Bilberry, blackberries, cherries , prunes, blueberries and cranberries and are all high in flavonoids. VitaFruits and VitaVeggies from VitaTree Nutritionals contain these important flavonoids, a great natural treatment for varicose veins. Click here for more info on VitaFruits and VitaVeggies, whole food vitamins.
2.Weight loss is usually mandatory for men and women who suffer from varicose veins. Green tea is an effective fat burner, and also contains phytochemicals that can increase the tone of blood vessels. Green tea is the key ingredient in the effective weight loss supplement, VitaTree Fat Burner. For more info see VitaTree Fat Burner, click here.
3. Regular exercise that involves the legs. Jogging, walking, cycling and swimming are great exercises that involve the legs and help to keep the circulation going, thus helpful in the treatment and prevention of varicose veins.
Varicose veins can be treated naturally and prevented by using various alternative medicine protocols. Remember that any supplement you consider taking should always be a whole food vitamin, made directly from nature’s finest nutrients. For more info on the best whole food vitamins, visit www.vitatree.com.
For more information about natural treatments for degenerative disc disease, please see the site news at www.vitatree.com at this link, click here.
The largest payout in the history of pharmaceutical lawsuits has recently been resolved with a $3 billion dollar price tag! Drug company GlaxoSmithKline was ordered to pay to settle counts against them for false advertising, under reporting of side effects and their inappropriate marketing of the drugs by their “special agents”, the prescribing medical doctors. For the full story, click here.
Chronic and interstitial cystitis are inflammatory conditions in the urinary bladder that cause symptoms such as painful urination, difficulty with urination, nocturia (having to urinate at nighttime), frequent urination and pelvic pain. This condition affects millions of women worldwide and is often mistreated by conventional medicine.
Naturopathic medicine and specific supplements can bring the body back into balance so that the kidneys, urinary bladder and surrounding tissues function normally again. For the full article on how to treat chronic and interstitial cystitis naturally, click here.
Water retention can be a common problem, especially for women. Some women can gain from 2 to 8 pounds just in water retention at different times during their hormonal cycles. Water retention symptoms include swelling of the legs, abdomen, face, hands and overall body.
What causes water retention? The causes of water retention include hormonal changes, such as estrogen in excess of progesterone, dehydration or too much water, kidney deficiencies, lung and heart disease, pharmaceutical drugs, low protein diet, excessive salt intake, pregnancy, toxicity, lack of exercise and stress.
Thankfully there are a number of natural water retention remedies. It is important to have your health evaluated by a qualified practitioner, such as a medical practioner and a naturopathic doctor to determine that there is not a serious underlying disease. The following are some natural water retention remedies that may help to eliminate unwanted excess water weight that may be weighing you down.
1. Drink sufficient, but not too much water. Drink about 1 L per day of good quality water, that is preferable alkaline. (for more info on alkalinity read my book The Healthy Millionaire.) If you exercise heavily, you may need more water than this, but beware, if you drink too much, it can cause water retention.
2. Balance your hormones. For women, too much estrogen as compared to progesterone levels, can be a cause for bloating and weight gain. VitaWomen’s Formula from VitaTree Nutritionals, helps to balance estrogen levels naturally, with no synthetic hormones and protects from harmful estrogens in the environment. For more info visit www.vitatree.com.
3. Exercise- Exercise helps to move the lymph and toxins in the body. It is also a great idea to detoxify the body, at least 4 times per year, at the change of each season. See my Detox formula called VitaDetox, at www.vitatree.com. VitaDetox contains some gentle diuretics that help to rid the body of excess fluids and water retention.
4. Ensure that you eat sufficient protein everyday. Protein helps to keep water in the cells and prevents it from leaking outside the cells causing swelling and edema. Good sources of proteins include eggs, chicken, beans, lentils, nuts and seeds. There are also some good vegetarian protein powders available on the market that help to supplement protein if you may be deficient.
In conclusion, no matter what causes water retention in your case, try to get to the bottom of it and treat it naturally.
Pregnancy is such a wonderful time in a woman’s life. It is a time of creation and allowing her body to do what it is meant to in the most natural way possible. Unfortunately, a number of women suffer from back pain during pregnancy due to the laxity in the ligaments and tendons that can allow the bones and muscles to shift out of place ever so slightly, causing pain. The following are some helpful tips for women suffering from back pain during pregnancy.
1. Exercise- Exercise helps to keep tone in the muscles that are needed to support the lower back. Gravity changes during the pregnancy cause different forces to be placed on new areas, especially the low back. Walking, swimming and lifting light weights are great ways to keep the muscles toned.
2. Stretching- This helps to keep the areas that accumulate tension more relaxed and stretched out. If you can find a prenatal yoga class this is ideal because you will learn the most effective stretches for pregnancy.
3. Fish Oil- A natural anti-inflammatory, fish oil supplements are helpful at keeping the overall inflammation down in the body. For an added benefit, a fish oil supplement high in DHA is your best bet because this is essential for the development of the baby’s nervous system and brain. VitaFish Oil is the best fish oil supplement available because it is high in DHA, tastes great, and has no fishy taste or aftertaste. So if you are suffering from nausea during pregnancy, this fish oil supplement will not bother you. For more info visit www.vitatree.com.
Recurrent yeast infections are a big problem for many women. The conventional methods for treating yeast infections are often very superficial and do not cure the underlying problems. There are often dietary concerns and hygienic reasons why most women have recurrent yeast infections. The good news is that it is easy to treat naturally once one understands why it happens in the first place.
So what causes yeast infections? As a naturopathic doctor, I am often asked by my patients what causes yeast infections? The truth is, there are a number of dietary and hygienic causes for chronic yeast infections. The following are the most common culprits.
1. Diet- Too many sugars and fermented foods. Sugar feeds yeast or candida and causes it to multiply. If you are addicted to carbohydrates and sugars, like so many women are with chronic yeast infection, you need to cut out the sweets and fermented foods like alcohol and vinegar for a period of time, until the candida clears up. I usually find that when I treat patients with chronic candida, there is not usually a need for a difficulty candida diet that restricts all carbs including fruits. Given the right supplements, like VitaTree high powered Probiotics, this is often strong enough to starve off the candida organisms, with minor changes to the diet and a strict candida diet is not necessary.
2. Anti-biotics- Women and children who take anti-biotics frequently, (more than once every 5 years), are setting themselves up for chronic yeast problems and yeast infections in women. The reason for this is that anti-biotics wipe out all the good probiotics, or good bacteria in the digestive tract and bloodstream. This becomes a perfect breeding ground then for the candida albicans to flourish. Conventional anti-biotics should only be taken in desperate measures. There are a number of natural anti-biotics that work quite well at killing most organisms, like oregano oil, tea tree oil, berberis etc. that do not have the typical antibiotic side effects.
3. Hygiene- tight fitting clothes and underwear can create a breeding ground for yeast and candida albicans. It’s best to wear cotton underwear that are washed in very hot water and placed in the dryer to kill the yeast and to prevent re-infection. Thong underwear are not recommended. Some doctors recommend ironing your underwear to kill any remaining live yeast to prevent recurring yeast infections. I always recommend also avoiding wearing underwear to bed, as this area should be able to breathe at night while you sleep.
All in all, it is quite simple to treat and prevent reoccuring yeast infections naturally with these tips. Be sure to always supplement with a high potency, human microflora probiotic like VitaTree Probiotics. Another often overlooked link to chronic yeast infections is heavy metal toxicity. You can read more about this in my book The Healthy Millionaire. To quench heavy metals and detoxify them from the body safely and efficiently, see VitaDetox from VitaTree Nutritionals at www.vitatree.com.
Treating adult ADHD and children’s ADHD from a natural standpoint is virtually the same. ADHD is a condition that is often related to digestive issues and lack of some specific nutrients. The good news is that ADHD can be treated naturally with some simple dietary and nutritional changes.
Whether it is adult ADHD, or children’s ADHD, I always recommend starting to look at the diet first and foremost. The diet can often determine the severity of the symptoms of ADHD in both children and adults. The following is a list of foods and additives that should be avoided at all costs by people suffering with ADHD:
1. Sugar excess: Yes, we all need a little sugar in our diets, but excess sugar, especially refined white sugar is a culprit for causing changes in the mental-emotional sphere of health. Too much sugar can cause spikes in insulin that decrease the proper functioning of the brain. High insulin levels followed by a crash in blood sugar is also related to the hyperactivity component of ADHD. Also, sugar intake is closely related to yeast overgrowth, or candida. Candida is a very common problem in patients that I have treated with ADHD. The yeast overgrowth and candida organisms give off toxins that affect the brain’s ability to think clearly and cohesively. The best natural treatment for candida is high potency probiotics that are made for the human digestive tract and contain HMF. VitaTree Probiotics are high potency, live friendly flora and contain the important effective strain of friendly flora called HMF.
For more info watch this video on VitaTree Probiotics.
2. Food dyes and coloring: Artificial food coloring is another causative agent in the manifestation of symptoms of ADHD. Food dyes are synthetic chemicals that negatively alter the normal brain function of children and adults with ADHD. Avoid colored candies, juices, drinks, and chips that contain food dyes.
3. MSG or monosodium glutamate: This food flavour enhancer is toxic and affects both adults and children with ADHD. MSG is found in chips, soups, and a number of packaged foods and should be avoided completely by everyone.
Another thing to consider in both children and adults with ADHD is the very important brain chemical DHA. DHA is a naturally occurring essential fatty acid or omega 3 fat that is found in cold water fish. Most of us do not consume enough fish, and DHA. I don’t even recommend that people eat fish anymore because our waterways and hence the fish have become very toxic with PCB’s, dioxins and heavy metals such as mercury. DHA can be supplemented in high doses in high quality fish oil supplements and this is the best way to get preformed DHA. The best fish oil is VitaFish Oil from VitaTree Nutritionals, high in DHA, non-toxic and great for children and adults because it tastes like orange candy! No fishy taste or aftertaste. For more info visit www.vitatree.com.
Men typically have a different wish list when they are shopping for vitamins. Often they are looking for vitamins that will help give them energy, stamina and help with digestion. More specifically, some men who know about the dangers of prostate disease search for products that will help prevent prostate problems.
VitaTree Nutritionals has formulated some of the best supplements for men and their concerns. VitaMen’s Formula is a whole food vitamin that helps treat and prevent prostate disease, namely benign prostatic hypertrophy or BPH. VitaMen’s formula helps increase overall energy and stamina, but more importantly, increases men’s sexual desire and performance. The unique herbal formula is unlike any other men’s supplement on the market.
VitaFruits and VitaVeggies are whole food vitamins that are made from nature’s healthiest fruits and vegetables and are concentrated into vegetarian capsules. These are perfect for men who are looking for a supplement to their diets, to provide much needed anti-oxidants to quench the free radicals they are exposed to. The VitaFruits and VitaVeggies provide an equivalent of about 6-7 servings of fruits and vegetables daily, that are often difficult for many men to always eat.
As men age, cholesterol levels can rise and the risk of heart disease and stroke increases. VitaTree offers cholesterol lowering supplements, VitaTree Cholesterol Formula and VitaMucil. This combination for naturally lowering cholesterol and triglyceride levels is a powerful yet safe way to get cholesterol levels lowered, without side effects.
For more info visit www.vitatree.com.